Saturday 22 October 2011

Blog Six: Practical Considerations

Practical Considerations are things that are essential for someone to participate in an activity, such as the tools needed (Christiansen & Townsend, 2004). These things are very important because if they are not right the whole task could be compromised. The easiest way for me to explain this is to explain what it would be like trying to do crochet with a knitting needle, rather than a crochet hook. A knitting needle is a straight object that is very good for knitting (when you use two of them together), but is not like a crochet hook (which, as you may have guessed, is not straight but has a hook on one end) the only similarity between the two is that they are often made of the same material. So... to prove the point of practical considerations being important, I thought that I would try to crochet using a knitting needle, and trust me it was not easy. The idea of a crochet hook is that you can use the hook part to pull each stitch through the last one. With a knitting needle you do not have the hook so you have to move the needle in a very difficult way and try very hard not to drop the stitch. After dropping the stitch almost every time I finally gave up and went back to my crochet hook. I now have a strange appreciation for my crochet hook. It does not look fancy, in fact it looks very boring. But if you come to my house and pick up my crochet hook and say;
“Is that some kind of strange knitting needle”
Then trust me, you will get told exactly what it is and about how handy it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment