Wednesday 14 September 2011

Blog One: Me and Crochet

My chosen activity for this class is crochet. I was taught to crochet by my Aunty Denise when I was 12. She started me on making a dark grey poncho. I never finished the poncho and did not crochet much after that until I was married. My grandmother had made me this cool orange hat and i wanted to make one but could not figure out how to knit a hat like she had, so i decided to try to crochet it. I taught myself how to do different stiches by reading them out of a book that I got from the library and I also remembered the general concept of how to do it from my aunty. I had done a couple of hats and showed my aunty what I had done and she said that I had not done any proper stitch but had made up my own stitch.
Crochet is now something that helps me to zone out from the rest of the world and because I am an active relaxer it is my way of relaxing. It is also my way of giving something of myself to other people by making them hats, with my own individual style.
Below are some example of the hats that I have made (nicely modeled by my sister, Julia and my mother:




So... Why did I choose crochet as my activity to analyse?
Keilhofner and Forsyth (2009) say that when doing an activity analysis for a specific client it is important to pick an occupation that represents the clients choices, habits and personal capacity. I think that crochet represents all of those things for me because it is my choice to do crochet, it is something that I try to build into my routine so that I have the right balance in my life and it is also something that I am very capable of doing. It is also something that I enjoy doing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Anne-Maree,

    These hants are really awsome!! very interesting to see that you were able to pick it up again after not doing it for so long, even though you 'created your own stich'. I find that i am often like that with hobbies such as scrap booking I will go through phases of doing it and then loose interst.

    Love the pictures on the blog!

    Toodals,
    Victoria Simeon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I ment Anna - Marie i was typing to quick.!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Victoria...
    I am glad that it was interesting for you to read about my crochet...

    ReplyDelete